Friday, October 1, 2010

How You Can Get Make A Living As An Author Writing Books For Your Favourite Games.

One Career I have always felt would be incredibly interesting to take on is that of an author. I fairly often imagine how wonderful it would be, sitting at home, writing out imaginary adventures of my own imagination and thinking, and sending them off and then receiving money back for it. It is a New career I myself have seriously contemplated, but sadly (yet, anyway!) have never managed to finish writing a book. Sure, I have many ideas, but I always seem to wind up creating difficulties, or changing my mind, or I just seem to lose the development altogether at points. So for the moment it is a Career idea which has not totally taken off for me just yet. I have however examined some of the other choices on offer, and there is one option I would like to look into which may make it quite a bit easier for talented people to break into this difficult market. This information should hopefully be beneficial to people who are looking for New careers in this line of work.

Now one of my chief difficulties when I have been writing is that I have aimed to invent my own characters, and my own worlds. Now this is pretty tough to do, as there is loads to think about, at times you can get confused by your own ideas, and it can be sometimes quite a difficult obstacle to overcome. There is a way around this however, which might hopefully help people into this tough Career, and that is for people to generate fan fiction on games that already exist, that already have a solid plot, a solid world, and a great set of characters. Good examples of games for which these style of books are in quite high demand are Warhammer, where the books are composed about the different armies used within the game, and some of the major characters. Another popular example is Magic: The Gathering, here the books are used to supply some information on the worlds which the newest expansions are set on, and supply a background story for the cards themselves. Now it is still quite difficult to get a Career in this line of work, as the competition is extremely fierce, so you will need to be an extremely good writer, however it will help give guidance for people like me who maybe struggle sometimes with their own developments. It doesn’t even need to be something you consider as a New career, you might just write fan fiction to practise and work on your writing skills.

The reason fan fiction is beneficial for people looking for New careers is because you already have the tools (characters, worlds, history) offered to you, you just need to sculpt them into a plot that is exciting and interesting that is going to appeal to fans of the game. This will help you develop your skills ready for when you are ready to create and grow your own world, and your own characters. It is particularly good if you yourself have a keen interest in the game you are aiming to write for – it means you are gaining the opportunity to be a really big part of that games development, a Career which many would love to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment